4 BEAN TURKEY CHILI
A warm, hearty 4 bean turkey chili with a perfect balance of spice. Perfect for cozy fall/winter nights.
Makes: 6-8 Servings
- 1 teaspoon Olive oil
- 1 lb Ground turkey
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato paste
- 2 cups Tomato sauce (low sodium)
- 1 cup of your favorite beer (if desired)
- 1 (15-ounce) can Cannelini beans, low sodium
- 1 (15-ounce) can Black beans, low sodium
- 1 (15-ounce) can Red kidney beans, low sodium
- 1 (15-ounce) can Chick peas, low sodium
- 1 (8.5-ounce) can of Yellow corn
- 3/4 cup Onion, diced
- 2 cups Chicken broth, low sodium
- 2 Tablespoons of your favorite Chili seasoning (Click here to try our seasoning)
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground pepper
- 1 Bay leaf
Organization: (What to do before you start throwing things in a pan)
It is important to be as organized as you can be! Below are some tips to help with that process.
- Have your knives, cutting boards, pans, bowls and crock pot out, clean, and ready to be used.
- Dice onions and set aside
- Open ground turkey package
- Open cans of beans, strain and rinse
- Open cans of corn, and tomato paste
- Warm olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add diced onions and cook until translucent (approximately 3 min). Transfer cooked onions to crockpot.
- Keeping skillet on medium heat, add ground turkey, beer, tomato paste, salt and pepper. Using whisk or spatula, occasionally break apart ground turkey, mixing ingredients together, cooking until turkey is browned.
- While turkey is cooking, turn Crock pot on low heat. Add all remaining ingredients to crock pot.
- When turkey is done browning, add turkey mixture to crock pot and stir. Cook for 6-8 hours. If desired, top with shredded cheese and Greek yogurt.
- One 15 ounce can of beans is roughly equivalent to 1 ¾ cups cooked
- One 8.5 ounce can of yellow corn is roughly equivalent to 1 cup of yellow corn
- If you like more heat, add:
- 1/8 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon Chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- Toppings (Optional):
- Tortilla chips
- Plain Greek Yogurt (fat free) or sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- This recipe works great as a vegetarian chili, just do not include the ground turkey!
- Freeze remaining tomato paste!
- Left over chili holds well in freezer, or is great as left-overs!