CURRY CHICKEN SALAD
An update on an old classic, enjoy this flavorful chicken salad over greens, on a wrap or as is!
Makes: 4-6 Servings
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 3/4 cup chickpeas, canned, low sodium-drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1-2 shallots, minced
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon fresh Parsley or cilantro, copped
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- dash of salt, if needed
- Prepare your ingredients: shred the chicken, rinse the chickpeas, chop the celery, parsley and pecans, mince the shallots, and measure the remaining ingredients.
- Assemble: in a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix thoroughly. Enjoy on a bed of greens, in a wrap, on a sandwich, or as is!
- If you do not have already cooked chicken, see below:
- Start with 1/2 pound of raw skinless chicken breast. Place breast in large pot and cover with water or broth.
- Bring water to a boil over medium-high heat, once boiling reduce to medium and cover.
- Allow chicken to cook for 20-30 minutes. Chicken is done when internal temperature reaches 165o F. (or when chicken is no longer pink when cut open).
- Remove chicken from water, and transfer to a cutting board. Using two forks, shred chicken and add to the recipe above!
- If you want more spice, add an extra teaspoon of curry powder, totaling 1 tablespoon.
- You can swap yogurt with mayonnaise, however the yogurt gives a cleaner more refreshing taste.
- You can always add more yogurt if salad is too dry for your liking.
Allergen Warning: Recipe contains dairy and nuts.