Not the traditional slice and serve Polenta, this version is creamy and can be used as a side, base, or eaten on its own. This dish takes comfort food to a new level and brings me back to Italy. It pairs well with just about anything; beef, chicken, fish, eggs, etc.
Makes: 10 Servings
- 3.5 cups of water
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup polenta
- 1 Tablespoon of butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (optional)
- 4 qt saucepan
- Large spoon
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. When water starts to boil, all the 1 cup of polenta a little a time, whisking to prevent clumps. Continue whisking for about 2 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for about 10 minutes stirring every few minutes. Add 1 cup of milk and stir to combine. Cook for an additional 10 minutes or until the raw taste is cooked out.
- Add butter and season with salt and pepper to taste if desired right before serving. If the polenta becomes too thick, add a little more milk or water and whisk to thin out.
- To make vegan, use a milk substitute in place of dairy; and use nutritional yeast in place of Parmigiano.
Allergen Warning: Recipe contains dairy products, however please feel free to substitute dairy for non-dairy ingredients. Please see above. Recipe contains corn; Polenta is made from cornmeal.