EASY ENERGY BITES
These energy bites are easy to make, and filled with healthy fats, protein, and carbohydrates to fuel you when you’re on the go. Made with cocoa, dates, and oats. They are also gluten and dairy free.
Makes: 10-12 Balls
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup dates (5-6 dates)
- 1/4 cup nut butter (I like almond butter)
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2-3 Tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 Tablespoon maple syrup
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Food processor
- Place the coconut in a small bowl and set aside for later.
- Place rolled oats in food processor and pulse 5 times.
- Add the dates, nut butter, cocoa powder and blend for another 10 seconds.
- With the food processor still on, add 2 tablespoons of water in until the mixture begins to clump together and uniformly mixed (about 10-20 seconds). If you are adding the vanilla extract and maple syrup, add them at this step.
- Turn the food processor off, and take a small amount of the mixture and squeeze in your hand. If it easily sticks together, then it is ready. If it still is crumbly and falls apart, add more water, 1 teaspoon at a time.
- When the mixture is ready, roll into a ball of your desired size (I like them usually about 1 Tablespoons worth). Then roll the balls in the shredded coconut.
- Keep in an air tight container at room temperature. Keeps for 2-3 days.
- The mixture should not be so dry that it does not stick together easily, and it should not be so wet that you can feel the liquid. It should be wet enough so the coconut easily sticks to the outside of the ball when rolled.
- If there is a nut allergy, you may substitute the nut butter with sunflower butter.
Allergen Warning: Contains tree nuts. You may substitute a nut butter with sunflower seed butter.