A basic pesto full of classic Italian flavors with a nut free substitute.
- 3 cups Italian basil leaves
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds OR pine nuts
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced (2 teaspoons)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Food processor or blender
- Air tight container
- Place the basil and sunflower seeds in the food processor and pulse until combined.
- Next add the parmesan cheese, minced garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper and pulse again about 3 times. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula to make sure the ingredients are in the center of the bowl. Place the lid back on.
- Pulse the food processor wile slowly adding in the olive oil, stopping to scrape the sides again as needed. Pulse until combined or to your desired consistency.
- Instead of pine nuts, I like to use sunflower seeds. This is good for people that have allergies to nuts, and saves money!
- To add extra flavor, toast the pine nuts or sunflower seeds until there is just a little color (about 1 minute).
Allergen Warning: Contains tree nuts. To avoid, use sunflower seeds. Contains milk products.