SIMPLE PIE CRUST
Easy recipe for a buttery, flakey, pie crust, used for sweet or savory dishes.
Makes: 1 Crust (9-10 inches)
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 9 Tablespoons cold, unsalted butter-cut into small cubes
- 4-5 Tablespoons ice water
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Food processor or pastry cutter
- Small bowls as needed for measured ingredients
- Cut butter into ½ inch cubes and place in freeze while you prepare the dry ingredients.
- Measure out flour, sugar and salt; place them in the food processor and pulse to combine.
- Add half of the diced butter and pulse several times (approximately 6). Add the remaining butter and pulse until the mixture looks like coarse meal with some pea sized pieces.
- Add ice water in 1 Tablespoon at a time until the dough just starts to come together.
- Empty dough onto parchment paper and form into a ball, place in plastic wrap or between two sheets of parchment paper and press into a disk shape.
- Refrigerate dough for 30 mins prior use, or up to 2 days.
- Can be frozen for 3 months. Defrost overnight prior to rolling out.
- If you do not have a food processor, a pastry cutter or two knives may be used to cut the butter to the right consistency.