TURKEY MEATBALLS (GLUTEN FREE)
A lightened up version of turkey meatballs. Vegetables are used in place of breadcrumbs to make them juicy and gluten free.
Makes: 20-22 meatballs
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms (baby Bella)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 large egg
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Mixing bowl (or stand mixer)
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Chop mushrooms, onion, garlic, parsley, basil and add to mixing bowl. Then grate parmesan cheese and add to the same mixing bowl.
- Add the ground turkey, egg, tomato paste, and spices into a mixing bowl and mix till evenly combined.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out contents and roll into balls, mixture will feel wet, this is ok.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet and heat over medium high.
- Place the meatballs in the pan and cook for 3 mins on each side until browned all around. Cut one meatball open to make sure it is cooked.
- I like to use my hands to mix the meatballs, however you may use a stand mixer with the paddle attachment on low speed.
- If you prefer to cook them in the oven instead of a pan, you may place them all on a baking sheet and cook in a 400 degree oven for 15-20 mins, making sure they are cooked all the way through.
- Meatballs are juicier when cooked on a skillet, the quick heat seals in the juices.